Contrabass Digest

To subscribe or unsubscribe, email



Date: Fri, 3 May 2002 22:25:40 -0400
Subject: Re: [CB] Nomenclature
From: Michael C Grogg

As of late, we have just been calling the big ones "BAT" for Big A**
Tuba.  Seems to get the point across without a lot of nomenclature
jargon.    :-)


> If you want a real nomenclature zoo, there was a 20 page article  listing
> different names found in the literature for tubas of various sizes
> and shapes.  Try Bass Tuba someday and try to decide what instrument
> the name means.  Oscar


Subject: Re: [CB] recordings
Date: Sat, 4 May 2002 12:16:54 +0200

I can only refer to my latest recording, which has pieces for Eb sopranino, C and Bb soprano,
Eb alto, Bb bass and Bb contrabass clarinet . It's on the label Hemera and has the number
HCD 2942 : Lyrical Punk Clarinet.  You can also find some more information on
Terje Lerstad

       I know that these are requests that aren't necessarily contrabass in full nature but i'll ask anyway.  Does anyone know any good recordings of solos or literature for the following:  alto, bass, or contrabass flute  and alto, bass, contra-alto or contrabass clarinet?  If you could help me out that'd be helpful!  Thanks.


From: MVinquist
Date: Sat, 4 May 2002 08:30:01 EDT
Subject: [CB] Gerard Hoffnung

Here's a photo of Gerard Hoffnung playing a VERY large tuba:
< >.  The whole site is wonderful.  Note the millipede's pipe at
< > and the angel at
< >.

Ken Shaw

From: "John Kilpatrick"
Subject: Re: [CB] Clarintet/Sax nomenclature
Date: Sat, 4 May 2002 15:00:53 +0100

Nomenclature. On top of the confusing name-range differences between types
of instrument, there's another oddity to point out. The clarinet is
pitch-named according to the clarion, not the chalumeau, register. From the
point of view of low notes (presumably of interest to the contrabass
community) this is silly. Ignoring the variations in little-finger note
extensions this means that a Bb clarinet is neither half the length of a Bb
sax, nor the same, but 3/4-ish. A Bb clarinet really ought to be called an
Eb clarinet, and an Eb an Ab (or EEb/AAb- I'm confusing myself now).

***End of Contrabass Digest***

Next Digest ->
Previous Digest <-